Need a Copy of Your Alabama Marriage Certificate? DoNotPay Can Help!
The ability to prove the date of your can come in handy in a variety of situations. You may need a certified copy of your Alabama marriage certificate to change your name or to enroll in your spouse's health insurance plan. Many lenders require married couples to prove their legal marriage before considering them for a mortgage or other type of loan.
Opening a joint bank account also requires proof of legal marriage. There are so many circumstances where you might be asked to provide a copy of your Alabama marriage certificate, it doesn't make sense not to keep one on hand. The process of obtaining certified copies of legal documents such as Alabama marriage certificates can be problematic. Fortunately, DoNotPay can help.
A Marriage Certificate is Not the Same as a Marriage License in Alabama
The state of Alabama stopped issuing marriage licenses back in 2019. You don't need one to get married, but you will need to fill out a marriage certificate and file it properly in order to be legally married in Alabama.
How to Get Married in Alabama
To get married in Alabama, each prospective spouse is required to provide their personal information on a marriage certificate form. These include the following:
- First, middle and last names
- Home address
In Alabama, residents must be mentally competent, sober and at least 18 years of age. Persons aged 16 or 17 may get married as long as they have parental consent.
A completed marriage certificate entitles couples to marry anywhere within the state as long as they file a signed and notarized marriage certificate with an Alabama probate court within 30 days. No religious ceremony is required.
Who Can Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Alabama?
Anyone can request and receive a marriage certificate in Alabama, as long as they provide enough information for a court clerk to locate the document. According to the Alabama Department of Public Health, information that will assist in the search includes:
- Full legal name of each spouse prior to the marriage
- County in which the marriage certificate was issued
- Date of marriage
How to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Alabama by Yourself
People who request a copy of a marriage certificate must provide their full name, mailing address, and daytime phone number along with a photocopy of their legal identification and a fee of $30 for a single copy. Additional certified copies may also be ordered.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Alabama Vital Records||P. O. Box 5625
Montgomery, AL 36103-5625
|First Copy: $30.00
Additional Copies: $6.00
The copy request may be submitted in person at the Alabama Vital Records office. Alternatively, marriage certificate copies can be requested by mail or online. Yes, it's a complicated process, but you don't have to do it alone when DoNotPay is right here and ready to assist.
How to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Alabama With DoNotPay
If you want to order a marriage certificate copy in Alabama but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
That's really all there is to it. Once we receive your order, we'll get your certified marriage certificate to you as soon as possible.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
DoNotPay takes the hassle out of obtaining certified copies of legal documents. That's not all we do, however. As the world's first virtual lawyer, we can help with:
- Contact a loved one in jail
- Cut to the front of any customer service phone queue
- Fight a parking ticket
- Rid your mailbox of spam emails
- Get assistance paying your utility bills
- Get refunded for a canceled or delayed airline flight
- Get compensation from annoying robocallers
- Manage your credit card issues
- Protect your original ideas from copyright violation
- Schedule an appointment at the DMV
- Put an end to spammy SMS text messages
- Sign up for or cancel free trials
Large and small hassles are simply a fact of life. That's why DoNotPay is here to help. If you want to know more about how to get a copy of your Alabama marriage certificate, without delay.