Everything You Need To Know About The Airbnb Terms of Service
Over the last decade or so, Airbnb has grown to dominate the homestay and vacation rental scene. But are Airbnb's terms of service (TOS) sneaking in clauses that catch unsuspecting consumers unawares?
If so, many would not notice.
As law experts attest, "When visiting a website, you usually agree to the TOS by default when clicking the agree button." This is unfortunate, because while agreeing automatically to the terms of service may "convey certain rights that users have when accessing the site and how they can contact the property administrator in case something goes wrong," they can also grant rights to the company that users may not wish them to have.
Fortunately, DoNotPay is here to ensure that companies don't overstep their boundaries when it comes to TOS agreements.
Airbnb's Terms of Service Agreement
Combining the words air mattress with B&B, Airbnb does exactly what its name implies.
Airbnb is an online marketplace that connects people who want to rent out their homes with people who are looking for accommodations in that locale. It currently covers more than 100,000 cities and 220 countries worldwide.
According to the company itself, the Airbnb TOS agreement is a "legally binding agreement between you and Airbnb that governs your use of the websites, applications, and other offerings from Airbnb."
Agreeing to the Airbnb TOS will allow users to
- Become "Hosts." Hosts publish and offer services for other members. They can offer either accommodations or experiences.
- Become "Guests." Guests search for, book, and use the services offered by the hosts.
Last updated October 30, 2020, Airbnb's TOS has been revised multiple times to account for changes both to the company itself and to consumer concerns.
How to Analyze Airbnb's TOS Agreement
Analyzing any TOS agreement can be tricky. Airbnb's is no exception.
How to Understand the Agreement
Basic concerns about Airbnb's TOS agreement have been boiled down to this: Airbnb makes everything your responsibility.
- Airbnb absolves itself of hosts violating the terms of their lease to use their service.
- Airbnb allows hosts to make their own rules for guests, with no standard protocols in place to protect either side from abuse.
- Airbnb requires hosts to use their own insurance policies to cover any damage caused by guests.
This list could go on. Suffice to say that while the company positions this sort of freedom as autonomy for guests and hosts alike, the bottom line is that the company goes out of its way to absolve itself of responsibility for nearly everything.
If your Airbnb experience is picture perfect, this won't bother you. In the event of a less-than-acceptable experience, you may feel that you have little recourse other than writing a bad review.
But is that really the case?
How to Sue Airbnb for TOS Violations
If something goes wrong for you, either as a host or a guest, you can always escalate your complaint to a Small Claims Court. You can even sue Airbnb without hiring a lawyer.
Of course, it may not come to that.
Before taking such a step, you'll want to comb through Airbnb's TOS to determine exactly what your options are.
Analyze Airbnb's TOS with DoNotPay
While investigating Airbnb's terms of service, you may find that you're in over your head. That's where we come in.
If you want to analyze terms and service but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Go to the Analyze Terms and Services product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the website domain you would like to scan.
- Wait for DoNotPay to identify any legal violations on the website (it should only take a few seconds!) If there are violations, proceed to drafting a demand letter.
- Enter how much you want to receive in compensation and the company name.
- Enter your contact information so the company can contact you.
Once this process is in motion, DoNotPay will generate a demand letter on your behalf with every legal violation we identified that you can send to the company.
DoNotPay can analyze any company's terms of service for violations and potential compensation:
DoNotPay Helps You Navigate Life
Dealing with long and complicated service agreements is one among many time-consuming tasks that most of us would just rather not have to deal with. With the help of DoNotPay, you can navigate many of life's mundane tasks with the few clicks of a button.
- Handle chargeback and refunds
- Access templates for standard legal documents
- File an official complaint
Don't spend another moment struggling through these tasks alone. Come see all DoNotPay has to offer.