The Ins and Outs of an Advance Directive in Texas
While mulling over possible scenarios for when you are in a near-death situation is not thrilling, it could save your life.
This article explains what these documents should contain and how you can prepare them hassle-free.
An advance directive in Texas is a legal document that lets you provide instructions for your health care provider in advance in case:
- You cannot communicate your wishes regarding medical treatments for yourself
- Someone else needs to make health care decisions for you
|Texas Advance Directive Form||Specifics|
|Directive to physicians and family or surrogates||This document is also called a Texas living form that you should produce to specify your wishes regarding health care treatments in case you cannot communicate them for yourself because you:
|A Medical power of attorney||A Texas medical power of attorney lets you choose a person—a health care agent—to make medical decisions on your behalf if you are unable to make them yourself.
This form can also be referred to as a:
|Out-of-hospital do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order||For this form to be valid, it needs to:
|Mental health treatment declaration||According to the law, if you sign this form, your health care agent cannot consent to the following:
You should select a reliable and trustworthy person for your health care agent since that person will be in charge of your medical care when you cannot do it yourself.
Your agent should be someone who understands your medical wishes and is willing to honor them if the time comes. You could turn to someone near you, including your:
- Close friend
- Adult child
- Spiritual guide
Keep in mind that—according to Texas law—you cannot appoint the following to serve as your health care agent:
- Your health care provider or their employee
- Your residential care provider or their employee
If an employee of your health care or residential care provider is your relative, they can serve as your health care agent.
If you are not sure how to prepare an advance directive in Texas, here are available options for you to consider:
- Get in touch with a lawyer—While any lawyer can draft this form for you, there is no need to pay substantial attorney fees for an advance directive
- Find an online template—You could go through different online forms and check whether they suit your specific situation. Keep in mind that you should inspect available templates carefully since some might not fit the legal requirements and your wishes
- Register for DoNotPay—You should use our robot lawyer since we will ensure your medical preferences comply with the legal framework
Once you think everything through and consult with people you care about, you should turn to DoNotPay to create an advance directive.
Our AI-powered app is at your disposal 24/7 and can generate the document for you in a matter of minutes!
The process is smooth—Subscribe to DoNotPay and take these steps:
- Access the Advance Health Care Directive product
- Provide your medical wishes and the name of your agent
- Indicate the powers you have decided to grant the agent
- Enter the names of your witnesses or get the document notarized quickly
DoNotPay keeps adding new features that are designed to help you navigate your tasks and resolve issues. You can rely on your AI-powered app whenever you need to:
- Obtain a child travel consent form
- Deal with workplace discrimination
- Apply for tourist visas
- Do practice tests for various government exams
- Lower your tax bill
- Send faxes online
- Deal with rude and noisy neighbors
- Get copyright protection for your creative work
- Stay safe from stalking and harassment
When money is tight, every penny counts. DoNotPay can help you get what you’re owed and also some extra cash.
Here are some of the ways our app can help you get paid:
- Signing up for raffles and giveaways
- Applying for numerous scholarships
- Requesting a late delivery refund
- Getting crime victims’ compensation
- Filing insurance claims
- Requesting compensation for delayed or canceled flights
- Submitting financial aid appeal letters
- Getting gift card cash back