The Easiest Way To File a Claim With the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund
Nearly 3,000 people died, and more than 6,000 people suffered injuries in the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center. The casualties didn’t stop there—more than 2,000 deaths were reported as results of illnesses caused by the attack, and around 10,000 survivors and first responders have been diagnosed with cancer.
If you or your loved ones suffer from an injury or illness from the Twin Towers attack, DoNotPay can show you how to get benefits from the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund.
What Is the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund?
Not long after the 9/11 attack, the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act created the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF).
The purpose of the fund was—and still is—to offer compensation to victims or family members of the deceased victims who were at the World Trade Center or the surrounding exposure zone during the attack. In exchange, survivors of the attack or personal representatives agree not to file lawsuits against airline corporations involved.
Until recently, the Victim Compensation Fund was receiving temporary funding. In 2019, the Senate voted for the reauthorization of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, enabling eligible individuals to file claims up until 2090.
The following population categories can file claims with the VCF:
- Victims of the 9/11 attack
- Personal Representatives for incapable adults
- Family members of the deceased victims
Who Is Eligible for the 9/11 Victim Compensation?
The Victim Compensation Fund paid more than $7 billion to around 2,700 surviving victims and almost 3,000 families of deceased victims. Not everyone can benefit from the fund, though.
If you believe you or your loved ones should receive 9/11 victim compensation, check what you are required to do:
- Register with the Victim Compensation Fund according to the case-specific deadline, and file a claim before October 1, 2090
- Settle, dismiss, or withdraw lawsuits regarding the 9/11 attack by the appropriate deadline
- Show that you have a physical injury or illness as a result of the 9/11 attack certified for treatment by the World Trade Center Health Program
- Prove that you were present at one of the attack sites— within the New York City Exposure Zone or at the debris removal sites—anytime between September 11, 2001, and May 30, 2002
- Prove that your illness or injury has significantly worsened or that you have a new condition as a result of the 9/11 attack, in case you’ve already received reimbursement from the original September 11th Victim Compensation Fund
- Show that you have legal authority if you’re filing a claim on someone’s behalf—as a Personal Representative for a deceased victim or incapable adult
Victim Compensation Fund Registration and Claim Filing Deadlines
The VCF Permanent Authorization Act provided funding for the Victim Compensation Fund and extended the claiming files deadline up until 2090. The deadline for filing claims is the same for everyone—October 1, 2090.
The registration deadline is where it gets tricky, as it depends on the individual circumstances. You can find more details about registration deadlines in the table below:
|July 29, 2021||
|Within two years of the date of death||
How Much Are the WTC Victim Compensation Fund Payouts?
There is no available data that can provide exact answers on how much each victim received through the VCF. In the following table, you can find the victim compensation payouts per category from August 2019:
|Claimant Category||Number of Claims With Award Decision||Payout Amount|
|Non-Responder NYC—Cleaning or Maintenance||732||$94,006,674|
|Non-Responder NYC—Other Capacity||3,551||$888,702,178|
|Resident Within NYC Exposure Zone||632||$141,524,390|
|School, Childcare, or Adult Care Facility Attendant||36||$10,774,643|
DoNotPay Can Help You File a Claim With the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund
Whether you’re trying to get compensation from some victim fund for violent crimes or a monetary award from the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, filing claims can be tricky and time-consuming.
If you are a victim of a crime or terrorist attack, submitting application forms should not be your main preoccupation, and that’s why DoNotPay created the Compensation for Crime Victims product.
Our user-friendly service makes sure you don’t spend your time and energy filing claims and submitting applications—we do all of that for you!
To file a claim with the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, you should follow these instructions:
- Open our app in a web browser
- Select the Compensation for Crime Victims product
- Indicate whether you or your loved one is a victim of the 9/11 attack
- Provide answers to questions regarding your injuries
- Insert your signature and verify it
We will instantly fill out the form and file a claim with the Victim Compensation Fund.
With our service, you can:
- Apply for crime victim compensation in any state
- Find out what the compensation amounts for crime victims are
DoNotPay Helps You Fight for Your Consumer Rights
Did you know that companies often reject first-time warranty claims?
You're probably familiar with how complicated the process of appealing parking tickets is. Trying to get a refund for an unsatisfactory purchase or a delayed flight has likely made you mad at least once.
Not anymore! DoNotPay makes all these issues go away in less than five minutes, and that is not all we can do for you!
You don't have to deal with customer service reps of any company on your own anymore—we do it all for you!
DoNotPay bypasses any bureaucratic obstacle for you—scheduling DMV appointments, delaying bill payments, getting in touch with your incarcerated loved ones, filing lawsuits in small claims courts, and claiming insurance policies.
Keep Your Data Safe With DoNotPay
Do you love free trials but are reluctant to disclose your credit card details, phone number, or email address?
Our app lets you try out different subscriptions in a risk-free way!
With our virtual credit card, you can sign up for any free trial and not worry about canceling it! Since the card is not linked to your bank account, no one will be able to charge you once the trial expires. An additional perk is that the card comes with a free email address, which means no spam emails from the company.