How to Erase Inaccuracies on Your Credit Report With a 604 Act Letter
Has your credit score dramatically decreased with no logical explanation? You may have an error on your credit report. Errors can reduce your credit score by tens or hundreds of points. The good news is that these errors can be removed under law with a so you can fix your credit score.
What Is a 604 Act Letter?
A or 604 dispute letter is a written request to remove an error from your credit report under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The name 604 comes from section 604 where the rule is invoked. The letter is addressed to one of the major credit bureaus and requires a response under law. The three credit bureaus are:
You can get in touch with any of these three credit bureaus to dispute credit report inaccuracies online, by phone, or by mail.
|Online Dispute Form||Phone Number||Mailing Address|
|Equifax||(800) 864-2978||Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 4500
Allen, TX 75013
|TransUnion||(800) 916-8800||TransUnion LLC
Consumer Dispute Center
P.O. Box 2000,
Chester, PA 19016
Noteworthy: When you are mailing your 604 Act Letter, be sure to include a filled-out Credit Report Dispute Form. Then, send these, along with other supporting documents, to the mailing address of the credit agency you wish to ask help from.
Review Your Credit Report for Errors Annually
You can request an annual credit report from all three of the primary credit reporting bureaus listed above under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Review each of your credit reports for errors. Errors you can look for may include:
- Debt Collection Notices
- Credit Cards
- Personal Information
- New or Closed Accounts
Highlight any credit report entries that you believe are made in error. Gather evidence that may support your dispute, including receipts, payments, invoices, canceled checks, statements, and account closure notices.
How To Write a 604 Act Letter?
To dispute errors and inaccuracies on your credit report, write a clear and formal dispute letter and address it to any of the credit reporting bureaus that included errors in your credit report. Be sure to include the following:
- Your name and contact information
- The credit bureau's name and contact information
- The reason why you are writing to the credit reporting bureau
- The item you would like to dispute, including the date, transaction, amount, or account along with the evidence that it is inaccurate
- How the credit reporting bureau can correct the inaccuracy
- Your signature
You may also place the burden of proof on the credit reporting bureau using a Debt Validation letter and a Credit Dispute letter.if you believe a debt is inaccurately reported in your report.
Generate a 604 Act Letter With Help From DoNotPay
Writing a 604 Act letter on your own can be time-consuming and frustrating. If you don't have time to write a 604 Act letter, DoNotPay can generate a formal and successful letter on your behalf. DoNotPay asks a few simple questions from the comfort of your web browser or mobile app, then gets to work generating a 604 Act letter proven to get inaccuracies and errors removed from your credit report.
If you want to clean up your credit report but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search Clean Credit Report on DoNotPay.
- Prepare a recent copy of your credit report that you can use as reference.
- Let DoNotPay guide you through the 4 potential options:
- If you've already paid off your debt, DoNotPay will help you file a Goodwill Removal Request to get it removed.
- If you notice any errors in your report (DoNotPay has a list of common errors that you can use), DoNotPay will help you file a credit dispute to the creditor or major credit bureaus.
- If there are no errors, DoNotPay will check if you're still eligible to file a debt validation request. If they can't validate your debt, they're required to remove it from your report and they can't collect it.
- Lastly, if none of the above options work, DoNotPay will help you file a pay-to-delete negotiation letter. You can customize the amount you are willing to pay in exchange for getting the item removed.
You can also check out and learn more about how DoNotPay can help you with its credit products, including:
- Remove late payments from your credit report made in error
- Remove collections from your credit report that are inaccurate
- Remove inquiries from your credit report that should not be listed
Rely on DoNotPay for More Than Cleaning Your Credit Report
DoNotPay can help you clean your credit report, but its utility doesn't end there. It can help you remove spam from your inbox, get the best credit cards, sue in small claims court, skip the line in a phone queue, and more.
DoNotPay helps you fight corporations, organizations, and agencies to even the playing field. It offers the following services to help you save money:
- Get Help Paying Off Bills
- Get Out of Any Subscription Service Without Fees
- Write a Formal Appeal for Financial Aid
Sign up for DoNotPay today to see everything it has to offer.