All About 23andMe’s Terms of Services
Whenever you use a service, you are usually asked if you agree to a set of terms that the company has laid out. This is called the Terms of Service. Most people agree to the TOS without ever reading it. And while taking the time to read through a company's terms of service can be time-consuming, it can also be exceptionally beneficial to you in the future. After all, if you do not know the company’s rules, you will not know when you accidentally break a rule. And even if you did not violate the rule intentionally, it can still get you into trouble or even get you banned from using the service in the future.
If you have been thinking about using 23andMe, it is crucial that you understand the company's unique set of rules.
23andMe's Test Limitations
23andMe is a company that specializes in analyzing a person's DNA so that they can find out more about their ancestry. When you use the company's services, you send your saliva sample to them through the mail. After they receive the sample, they will perform a specialized test that detects unique genomic DNA within the sample. While the test can help someone discover their ancestry, there are limits to what it can detect.
Because of the limitations, 23andMe's tests are not:
- Guaranteed to be 100% accurate
- Intended to diagnose any diseases or illness
- A substitute for professional medical advice
- Should not be a reason that you change your diet or other health routines
23andMe Terms of Service
When you use 23andMe's services, you agree to allow the company to perform genotyping services on the sample you sent in. Other things that you must agree to include:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You are providing a sample of saliva that is not mixed with any other liquid.
- You are acting alone, and you do not work for an insurance company or an employer that is trying to gain information about a client or employee.
- The information that you receive could be upsetting or cause you to have intense emotions.
- It is not a good idea to share your results with other people. If you share your genetic results, you take full responsibility for any consequences associated with the shared information.
- Waive all property rights that are connected to the sample you have provided. There may be a time when 23andMe uses your provided sample to develop new products or technologies. You must agree when you send the sample to 23andMe, you no longer own it. This means that you are not obligated to receive any compensation for any commercial products or research that resulted from your sample, your Self-reported Information, or your Genetic Information.
If you violate any of the above terms, 23andMe may terminate your account and forbid you from using their services in the future.
23andMe collects various information from its users to learn how to improve their services, provide comprehensive service, and conduct research.
Here is a look at the type of information that 23andMe collects.
Information That You Share with the Company.
- Your posts on 23andMe's forum
- Registration information
- Account Information
Information from Online Services
- When you use 23andMe's website, mobile app, and other products and software, cookies are collected.
Specific Genetic Information
- DNA is extracted from the sample you provide and used to provide you with a Genetic Information report.
Quickly Analyze and Understand 23andMe Terms of Service with the help of DoNotPay
23andMe's Terms of Service page can be confusing to read and understand. In order to make sure that both you and the company are not breaking any rules, it is essential to understand their TOS. Luckily, DoNotPay is here to help. If you want to quickly analyze 23andMe Terms of Service, just follow these five easy steps:
- Go to the Analyze Terms and Services product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the website domain you would like to scan.
- Wait for DoNotPay to identify any legal violations on the website (it should only take a few seconds!) If there are violations, proceed to drafting a demand letter.
- Enter how much you want to receive in compensation and the company name.
- Enter your contact information so the company can contact you.
DoNotPay can quickly and easily analyze all of 23andMe's Terms of Services. If we find that they have violated their own TOS, we will send them a demand letter on your behalf.
How to Sue 23andMe for TOS Violations
- If 23andMe doesn’t comply with your demand for compensation, you can escalate the case to Small Claims Court using our Sue Now product.
- If you’re using our website, you can go to this page to have DoNotPay help you generate demand letters and escalate your case to small claims court.
- You can also access this product through our app.
DoNotPlay Can Help You to Understand Other TOS
In addition to analyzing 23andMe's Terms of Service, DoNotPay can also help you with the following companies:
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay was explicitly designed to make your life easier and more convenient. In addition to quickly analyzing Terms of Service, we can also:
- Understand legal documents
- Fight Breach of Contract disputes
- File a complaint
- Handle chargebacks and refunds